17 Sep ‘THE BORDERS WITHIN’ – BRITISH COUNCIL X LYRIX ORGANIX (OPEN CALL)
6100 BC – Ancient Britain peninsula separated from European mainland in a tsunami.
31 October 2019 – Britain leaves the EU (?)
66 million people on one island. More isolated than ever.
A call to action for artists, creatives & social entrepreneurs.
Because change can happen through us. Not just to us.
“We have a great opportunity. As we redefine our nationhood
we can work to create a country that is open, vibrant, resilient and diverse.
We can show that our borders are not constructed
to further an ideology of isolationism and discrimination”
(The Borders Within – Director of Liberty, Martha Spurrier, 2018)
Young people (18-24) feel lonelier than any other age group (BBC, 2018).
Over 2 million people over age 75 live alone (NHS)
58% migrants & refugees see isolation as biggest challenge (The Forum)
Social isolation is associated with 50% increase in mortality (Holt-Lunstad, 2015)
Social isolation is linked to inequality at an individual, community and society level. (Public Health England, 2015)
Inequality is unequivocally linked with mental illness (Faculty of Public Health)
Social mobility is lowest in UK than anywhere in Europe (Centrepiece, 2005)
5 DAY ‘LAB’ WORKSHOP
+ MENTORING & PROJECT DELIVERY
Join a pioneering Social Leadership x Arts & Culture training programme
with top facilitators, special guests, mentoring, seed funding
and a worldwide network of 75 countries.
30 CHANGE MAKERS
An open call to poets, musicians, rappers, writers, theatre makers.
Visual artists, film-makers, photographers, designers.
Social entrepreneurs, producers and change makers.
10 SOCIAL ACTION PROJECTS
A body of work designed by you; a collective of socially-minded artists .
Collaborate to design/deliver social action projects to affect change in communities.
In response to the theme of ‘Island and Isolation’ in a post-Brexit era
If you could rewrite Britain… what would you do? Just one week after Britain is due to leave the European Union, Lyrix Organix x Active Citizens (in partnership with British Council) launch ‘The Borders Within’ – a counteraction to Brexit. A 5-day social leadership workshop programme leading to a collection of artistic responses in the form of community social action projects – on the theme of ‘Island and Isolation’ e.g. mental health, housing, immigration, LGBTQ+, class, ethnicity, intergenerational, social media.
Globally connected, locally engaged.
Active Citizens is a global Social Leadership and Arts training programme delivered in 75 countries worldwide in partnership with British Council. Lyrix Organix is launching an open call for 30 artists/social entrepreneurs/changemakers to take part in a special UK-based 5-day intensive participatory training course (across two weekends):
- Immerse | a landmark new Artist programme for social change
- Learn | build community-led social development through Arts & Culture
- Expert facilitators | Deanna Rodger & Dan Tsu
- Daily special guest provocations | Activists, Artists, Systems Thinkers & Leaders
- Expert training to become a facilitator
- Collaborate to design your own social action projects
- Create a body of work with a collective of socially-minded artists
- Mentoring & Seed Funding for your social action project
- Kickstarter | support and advice
- Join a global network | 11,000 Active Citizens projects worldwide (with international opportunities)
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR – OPEN CALL
Experience not essential – but passion, creativity and ideas are. Age 18+. Wide age range encouraged. No upper age limit.
- Creative people keen to use arts & culture to create social change
- Passionate about building change in your community & keen for social justice
- Keen to develop facilitation skills
- Strong sense of local culture and identity
- Committed, and with time, to deliver Social Action Projects (in small teams) outside of workshop
HOW TO REGISTER:
- Early bird tickets open 20 September 11am via Eventbrite – see Lyrix Organix socials (@lyrixorganix). First come first served for those who are eligible via simple accessible survey. Limited Spaces.
- The course is FREE but you will pay a £20 Deposit (on Eventbrite) for your place. This is refunded (less Eventbrite fees) when you complete the course, or if you are ineligible to join the course.
HOW IT WILL WORK – DATES, TIMES & INFO
- 5x full day ‘participatory ‘Lab’ workshops (10am – 5pm TBC) in East/North London (Zone 1-2) – Sat 9 / Sun 10 / Fri 15 / Sat 16 / Sun 17 November. You must be available for all 5 days.
- Taking 30 participants through four stages of the Active Citizens Learning Journey
- Small teams design and deliver their own social action project (SAP) using their creative approach to the theme of ‘Isolation & Island’. At least one group to specialise in Film.
- Examples of SAPs: advertising campaign of photography by refugees / podcast series with homeless artists.
- Each team awarded Seed Funding for their SAP
- Each team receives 2x one hour SAP surgeries with a mentor to support their progress
- Each team receives support from Kickstarter (if they decide to pursue crowdfunding)
- International Study Visits – opportunity to host international guests / build global networks
- How Much Time? depends on your project, expect min one day per month over 6 months (average)